Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Work Travel and All That In Between

One part of my work takes me around the country and I absolutely LOVE it. Places I had heard of but never been to, places I had know only by the stations when as a kid we used to travel by train during school holidays, places that always seemed a bit mysterious and yet attractive in some way. Being an aspiring traveller, one would expect to explore the place, visit popular landmarks, go to the must-try food shops and of course shop but alas, its work that I travel for. Well at least that’s what I thought until I reached there.

So lately, the places covered have been Kanpur, Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Amritsar. Each place has its own peculiar nuance, its own character, and its own charm. So in my limited time (I was bound by multiple school visits and back to back flights) this is what I figured:

Kanpur & Lucknow: Kanpur stood out for a lack of proper hotel. Being a girl and travelling alone in UP may not be a good idea but it definitely was worth an experience covering the stretch between Kanpur and Lucknow where the NH had no electricity and the darkness was umm...a bit scary. Lucknow the land of Mayawati was covered with Mayawati statues with a handbag perfectly placed in her hand. In midst of checking out her perfect posture and the fabulous army cantonment area, this land of nawabs offered delicious kebabs and I did manage grabbing some awesome chikankari work from Sewaa.

Hyderabad: The city started and ended at Lal Bahadur International Stadium, I got a chance to play cricket at one of the biggest stadiums in the country (courtesy: work) and while I wasn’t doing that, I was busy hogging Hyderabad biryani at the quaint Cafe Bahar and munching some oh-so-mouth-watering tootie frutie biscuits from Karachi bakery at Banjara Hills. Being a blue blooded South Indian, I felt at home.

Bangalore: It’s a pity that in all these years I never got a chance to visit Bangalore. There is only one word to describe the place - AWESOME. What added to the experience was a lavish pick up at the airport (thanks Le Meriden), perfect breezy weather and a delicious south Indian meal in the hotel. Except for the traffic jams and being stuck with a driver who ONLY understood Kannada and had no clue about directions, the bungalows, the laid back life, the fantastic weather, the raw silk sarees, the people, the food, the social scene and the cost of living really had me thinking whether I should settle here. I would say, I am still contemplating.

Amritsar: The place tops the chart! Even though I am a Southie, growing up in Delhi has turned me more into a Punju so Amritsar was the epitome of wannabe Punjabi-ness. In the 40 degrees heat, I relished the chilled lassi outside Jallianwala Bagh, had the cheapest dhaba food (I checked the bill thrice to see if the amount was right and the food left licking my fingers), paid respect at Golden Temple and greedily took more and more of the ghee laden prasad that was offered there and bought some Amritsari vadi and papad for mom. But what stood out the most was the visit to Attari. It was the closest I came to Indo Pak border (saw the change of guards at Wagah) and trust me I turned into the biggest patriotic there ever was. No matter what words I choose, the experience cannot be penned down. It’s a feeling that will stay forever. I would recommend everyone to visit Amritsar for this and Golden Temple...there is something about the place.

Ahmedabad: Ahh, what do I say about the Gujju heartland!! Alright I hated it. For some strange reason I ordered Butter Chicken and being the eternal optimist that I am, hoped that in this VEG wonderland at least Taj would do justice to it. But NO!!! Even Taj succumbed to the sweet-eating Gujjus! The chicken was way too rubbery and the gravy was lovingly showered with sugar! So I stuck to the dhokla, khandvi and sabudana khichdi for the next 2 days. Finding a Cafe Coffee Day and Barista was like spotting a rainbow in gloomy weather. Wonder how the IIM/NIFT/NID guys survive...maybe they have their hidden nooks and corners that I clearly wasn’t aware of. Never ever in my work travels have I wanted to desperately come back home so I rest my case on Ahmedabad here.

Summing up, the commonality that strikes me about all these places (except Ahmedabad...Sorry but I detest the place) is the simplicity of people, the modest living and the laid back life where adults get home by 6, play with their kids, or sit in the lawn sipping tea and have a day-to-day discussion with their neighbours. I guess, somewhere I want that kind of life. A life which is not as hectic as Mumbai, a life where you know you have an existence beyond work. A living that is humble and where you don’t sweat the small stuff. I hope someday I can say that about Mumbai too.

And anyway, if you are wondering whether I managed to finish the WORK that I was actually meant to do in all these places (and the only reason why I travelled to these places in the first place). Yes, I did :)

1 comment:

  1. i so totalllyy agree sums...i wonder wht we bombayites are running after! come to think of it...we are probably as much happy or sad as anyone else in any other part of india...but yes..we are a lotttt more stressed out. thank god for freinds...else we wud have had stress attacks by now!! :)

    ReplyDelete