Sunday, September 19, 2010

I’ve been Think’INK

When I first mentioned getting tattooed to my brother, he laughed it off. He said it’s a fad and people who get it done nowadays do it for the sake of fitting in. His argument was – if you REALLY wanted to get it done, you should have done it much before. I said, tattoos in India weren’t as professionally done as they are done now. He said, why? They existed since 1970’s when Amitabh Bachchan had “mera baap chor hai” written on his hand. (I am serious, this was his answer)
So after such an overwhelming response, the conversation was obviously left dangling.
Guess I was discussing it with a wrong person, being an overprotective elder brother he must be thinking his little sister has lost it once again. (It’s true for most elder brothers) Not that his point of view is incorrect, I’ve done multiple things in life which he doesn’t approve of and this one just fell in the same category.
Anyway, that’s just him.
But the thought of getting inked has been playing on my mind for quite some time now. It’s not for the sake of fashion, fad, fitting in or showing off. For God sake, I want something small and something which isn’t on display 24 x 7.
What do I want? I didn’t have to think too hard.
All my life I’ve lived by one word and that is HOPE. I’ve grown up on faith, prayer and belief and in countless situations in life it’s that slight ray of hope has kept me going (not trying to sound serious but hope is what I believe in 1010145% and when it comes to getting something permanently inked on my body, it certainly will be this)
So the word HOPE is what I want, intertwined in a star which represents guidance and is a symbol of protection, perched on top of my shoulder. Very difficult for my brother to fathom. (Wonder how my parents will react when I unveil my master plan to them...let’s wait and watch)
Why didn’t I think of it before? Guess it was always in my subconscious but I wasn’t prepared enough (partially also because I come from a family where getting a tattoo is like hawwwww isne tattoo karaya hai...hey bhagwan kitni bigdee hui hai)  
But with time, I’ve met people who’ve got inked, I know their stories, I know them well, I know what it means to them and I can relate to it. It’s nothing abnormal, to many it might seem rebellious but to me it’s just a form of expression. So why not?  And if this wasn’t enough, I’ve also got hooked to LA Ink and since then my urge to getting tattooed has only increased. (I must have already got some 40 tattoos...all in my head...just watching LA Ink...to the extent that one of my friends – Roy is in LA right now and I’ve asked her visit the shop, even get a tattoo if possible..She already has tattoos so one more shouldn’t be that big a deal..Roy, hope you read this!)
Anyway coming back to my tattoo aspirations, I’ve got a 50% YES and 50% NO to whoever I’ve spoken to. Those who have been encouraging have been very encouraging and those who haven’t have even come up with suggestions like, why don’t use a permanent marker and make one yourself and live with it till this madness wears off (C’mon now, really???)
Hmm so after considering (and not considering) many opinions,  the mind is made, the conviction is there, the willingness is supreme and no matter what others say the inkling to get the inking is superlative. (All this is subject to *terms and conditions coz I still haven’t discussed this with my folks. They’ll freak out I know, to the extent my mom making me swear not to indulge in this so-called “things that mad people do”)
Well, will I still get it done? Yes I might. Still figuring out the final design and who should I get it done from but the want is just too much to let go. (I still maintain, I am not a crazy)
Of course, getting inked is painful and I’ll have to live with pain for a couple of days. But to me, it’s completely worth the experience. And like they say – no pain, no gain! Suits me just right!

4 comments:

  1. Well written...Enjoyed readin it...Especially the "Mera Baap Chor Hai" part :)

    Check my facebook profile for Chirag Jhala and the inks and needles community on my profile...Dat showcases some of his work also.
    I have seen his work thanks to some of my friends...and i liked it.
    Best part is he works out of Lokhandwala.
    So u wont have to travel too much wid da pain to get back home and get some well deserved rest.

    I am FOR it...Go ahead...Get ur tattoo done.
    Mera Ashirwaad hamesha tumhare saath hai beta!!!
    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you really want to get yourself inked then go for it. I'd suggest you rely on your instinct rather than someone else's judgement. Fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention. I will be visiting Kat Von D tomorrow afternoon. Tattoo nahi toh ek photo hi sahi.
    Adios.

    p.s. serious 'ink' advice once i'm back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    Roy - Have a super time and photo toh banta hai :)
    yes, tatto tete-e-tete once your back!

    ReplyDelete